Squash Waltham Butternut Seed Packet - Ferry-Morse
It's one of the best, most popular varieties of winter squash. Its sweet, dry, orange-colored flesh makes it ideal for baking, as well as for pies. These plants are very productive and produce squash high in vitamin A.
- Flavor: The sweet taste of this squash is enhanced if stored for a while prior to cutting.
- Preparation Ideas: Cut in half, butter the center of each half and then sprinkle with brown sugar and season with salt and pepper!
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 3.7
- Grows Best In: Full Sun
- Days to Germination: 7-10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 85 Days
- Growth Type: Winter
- Planting Depth: 1"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Waltham Butternut Squash seeds roughly 6' apart in rows.
Instructions: After all danger of frost, in a sunny location, sow a few Waltham Butternut Squash seeds spaced evenly over a hill 9"-12" tall and 2' across. When the plants are 3" tall, thin by cutting all but the 3 strongest seedlings per hill. To avoid weeding, mulch heavily around plants and in the rows.
Suggestions: Don't cut winter squash from the vine until firmly ripe (when you have a hard time making a dent in the shell with your thumbnail). Harvest squash before hard frost.