Melting Sugar Peas are a favorite in Chinese and Northern European food dishes.
The young, tender pea pods are especially tasty when chopped and steamed with butter. This pea variety is high in vitamins A, B and C!
- Flavor: Sweet and tender.
- Preparation Ideas: Chop and steam with butter.
- Plant Type: Vegetable
- Fill Weight (grams): 21
- Grows Best In: Full Sun
- Days to Germination: 8 - 12 Days
- Days to Maturity: 72 Days
- Growth Type: Vine
- Planting Depth: 1.5"
- Seed Spacing: Sow Melting Sugar Peas seeds roughly 2" apart in rows, keeping rows approximately 2.5' apart.
Instructions: Sow Melting Sugar Peas seeds in full sun in spring and late summer. Peas will tolerate some frost and are very sensitive to heat. Plant 1 seed every 2". Do not thin. Pea plants perform best when supported by trellis. Support 2 rows at the same time by placing trellis between 2 rows and letting plants grow together. Harvest when pods are filled out to encourage production.
Suggestions: When harvesting peas, do not jerk pods from vines since rough handling can cause plants to stop producing. It is best to snip clusters of pods from vines with scissors or pruners.